Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Remains of an Old Mind

I wasn't even trying to capture this pose
the lower end of me, as the upper end
fumbled with buttons
 to find pictures
in my new phone, received recently.
This is an easy life
in so many ways
when new tools
keep data
accessible at finger-length
responding at a moment's notice.

Until this
this befuddling moment when
the tools
are not
what
you
thought
they were.

What remains is frustration.

And Awe
And gratitude,
especially come tax-time to find
that miracle tool
you hated for a while
organized
your expenses and kept them in a folder easily identified.


7 comments:

  1. Ah yes, embracing technology can be love/hate .. until you fall head over heels.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ah i appreciate this all too much...my computer crashed and i have been offline for a few days...it is humbling to realize our dependency...not sure i like that...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really love this post. You've perfectly captured our complicated relationship with technology. Many thanks. I enjoyed that.

    Greetings from London.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Me too. Both the unintended pictures and the taxes. I do the accidents; my husband does the taxes. So nice to meet you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are right about this. I thought of myself as I sat in my husband's chair with my feet propped up on his footstool as I fumbled around to navigate the new t.v. remote. Each time I had to mute the t.v., or turn up the volume, or answer a text on my phone beside me, I had to take off my distance glasses and put on my readers. Yes, I have bifocals, but my old mind has not adapted to those either.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This made me chuckle- it is a complex relationship. Being bloggers keeps us more aware than many our age but there's always so many new gadgets.

    ReplyDelete
  7. eventually, when the things let you manipulate them instead of the other way round, they become great little helpers.

    ReplyDelete